Nicola Vanlint is a fully qualified body-oriented psychotherapist helping people make full use of the power of mind | body connection in sport – from elite and semi-pro athletes to amateurs and hobbyists.
For over 15 years, she has been helping clients grow in confidence, achieve their goals, strengthen their performance and improve their overall well-being.
Every aspect of Nicola’s practice model is underpinned by neuroscience, neurobiology and informed by evidence-based therapies.
Principles of Body-Oriented Therapy
• Body and mind form an indivisible unit.
• Like the minds memories, the body also has an archive function: storing experiences via a “body memory” and can be approached through body awareness and perception.
• Muscle tension, posture, and movement patterns are related to how someone feels and frequently have a psychological meaning.
• Awareness of bodily sensations and their emotional significance contribute to strengthening performance and can prevent injury.
Body-oriented therapy is a collective term for the use of many different therapeutic techniques in which the body is the central focus.
Nicola has developed her own unique application, resulting in extremely high success rates.
For this, Nicola relies on an extensive academic and professional background, including:
• Postgraduate Diploma in Attachment-based Therapy.
• Postgraduate Certificate in Attachment-based Therapy
• Certificate in the Science of Flow
• Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
• Certificate in Freedom Technique (EFT)
• Certificate in Polyvagal Informed Therapy
• Certificate in Life Coaching – GROW Model
• Accredited Higher Professional Diploma in Counselling
• Accredited Certificate in Counselling Skills and Theory
• Accredited Diploma in Flow State
• Accredited Diploma in Positive Psychology
• Accredited Certificate in Neuroplasticity
• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
Part I, Part II, Part III and IV
• Training consultant, Greenwich Mind
• Crisis counsellor, telephone counsellor, Greenwich Mind
• Facilitating clients with their psychological wellbeing since 2004
• Private practice since 2008
Read more about Nicola’s personal journey in Happiful Magazine.
Since working with Nicola I have gotten to understand myself and some of my behaviours much better. This understanding allows me to be kinder to myself & improve how I deal with anxiety. She has given me effective tools I can use in training and at competitions which have meant I’ve been able to perform well even on days I’ve not felt mentally great. I also use the techniques she’s taught me to manage anxiety in day to day life. Nicola also encouraged me to take a bolder medical step in improving my mental health. I’m extremely grateful for her guidance.
Risqat Fabunmi - Alade
British Championships finalist
Nicola enabled me to understand and manage my feelings of anxiety which were manifesting in my daily life. She recognised that I was focused on perfectionism and always looking ahead, rather than being in the moment. I noticed that these thoughts and emotions were affecting my running performance also. At Torun in Poland at the World Championships I felt light and ready for a racing. I was able to say to myself "Just run!" And ran in the moment and got a PB. Thank you Nicola.
Senor Performance Manager
I’ve constantly looked to improve my game as a semi professional footballer, through; nutrition, recovery or conditioning. However, I’ve noticed the biggest change in my game since working with Nicola. My performance and mindset has changed dramatically. From being inconsistent and not being present during games, to always having a subconscious block to releasing my full potential. I have learnt so much about myself. Through simple techniques, Nicola showed me how to be more present. I now feel more confident than ever. I know what I need to do to perform to my full potential.
Worthing FC, Winger/Striker